Friday, November 8, 2013

Pulaski Skyway--Living Across the River--Accolades to NYC.

Library of Congress Photo Taken of the Pulaski Skyway in 1978
Photo taken from Library of Congress 1978
"I live in the top left hand quarter just a tiny spec. It's not even in the picture. I've been over the Pulaski Skyway a thousand times in my life but not for the last 15 years. I am scared to death because of anxiety in the car of the thing. This is only a partial view of it too. If I lived on the other side of my building, I could through a tomato on any car. (I would never do that, why waste a tomato?) I can't hear any of the traffic either as I'm sure you can if you live on the north side of this building. This is a more interesting email than the last one was, don't you think? Sorry the picture is so big but I don't know how to make it smaller the way I'm sending this."
"... I'm very happy though. I have a roof over my head. I can see The Empire State Building in the fall and winter from my bedroom. That makes me happy. I can see it with the leaves gone from trees across the street. It's a battery to me. " (from earlier correspondence.)

"This is how I learned NYCity. I went in the late 40's and 50's from NJ and got to know it then. I lived there in 1945 and 6 and then again in 1963. I love the music with this video although it's not part of my collection. More of a respect.
1940 New York City

http://videos.real.com/v/8tjnng-1940-new-york-city  (Gorgeous photo montage)