Saturday, November 8, 2014

Edward Hopper, Carroll Jones, and the Matt Brothers in Manhattan.


The cat in the window work is not finished, but Mr. Jones has sent a WIP (work in progress) photo  I'm very lucky, I don't know why this is, because I am no one of any consequence, not an artist, not a patron. I knew I had seen that pallette in Hoppers work, and visually set the two side by side.  Kind of amazing, I know Mr. Jones loved Hoppers work.

I enjoy the way he writes. I hope you do, too.

I didn't intentionally match the colors between Hopper and me, but you're right. I do know that painting (and love it). I almost met Hopper by chance I think it was in the sixties. It had to be in the sixties the later 60's because we both had the same framer....the Matt Brother's in Manhattan. They told me stories about him and his wife....they liked him but his wife was like a yappie little dog....we just never showed up on the same day at the same time. My father introduced me to them but I don't know how he found them. They were very good to me.....and gave me good prices on frames. The Matt Bros. used to do most of the framing for the Met which was two blocks away. They had nine floors in their building and once gave me a tour of most of the floors. I know you didn't ask me anything about them but they were a good part of my early life.
I think writing about artist's you like is such a good idea. There is one artist I would recommend but I can't think of his name. I met him a long time ago and we emailed a couple of years ago. I think I lived in this 'new' place. When I think of his name I'll tell you. He was good once and have to guess he still is. I have no connection to him at all so I'm not trying to give him any attention...
To contact Artist:

Carroll Jones III

P.O. Box 3090

Jersey City, NJ  07303

cjones3rd@gmail.com

No comments: