Monday, June 3, 2013

Separate Skies

This picture (to be clear) I got off the net today.[Mr. Jones is speaking of the photograph  avaliable by clicking in the title "152 Battery..."below: Rose] What I worked from for the painting is from my own pictures I took I think in the early to middle 80's. I don't have them anymore. I know I edited them a lot for the painting. I don't think 'blog' at all so I'll leave that for you. I didn't want to imply that I got the idea for the painting from this picture. I did from my own back in the late 80's. S.Skies is the largest painting I ever did.........4 by 6 feet. I had to buy a new easel for it. I am in touch with the wife of the guy who payed me for the piece back then. They've gotten a divorce 5 or ten years ago and I wanted to see if she still had it or he took it. He commissioned me to paint one for him (S.Skies) and one for her September Setting. He left her for a younger woman. To bad, I loved them as a couple. They have one of the nicest houses in Short Hills, NJ. It got a six page spread in a NJ mag back in I think 1991. They had their decorator design the room around MY painting. The colors of red.




By the way, The painting Separate Skies was from Burlington, Vermont. It was Emile Dupont's store originally  and it was about to be torn down or rebuild at the time. It was facing Lake Champlain and a few buildings away from the gentrification effort. This was around 1980 when I saw it. I didn't do the painting until 1989.
This is what Burlington turned it into. It's nice.

152 Battery- Emile Dupont Building by Doug Porter  (click link to see original building
"The Emile Dupont Roofing Company building at 152 Battery is a two-story brick-veneered block with flat roof and Italianate bracketed cornice. The street-level storefront features transomed entrances and large display windows situated beneath a decorative horizontal band that imitates the building cornice. This structure quite possibly includes pre-1830 fabric. The current façade is certainly from a later date,1 but a building of approximately this size and shape has occupied this location since 1830, and appears on the Walling and Birds Eye View maps. The National Register nomination gives an approximate construction date of 1875, though this attribution is apparently style-based. Earlier in the century, the building served as a granary. During a recent site visit, early hand-hewn beams were discovered in the cellar, supporting a newer floor frame. These beams indicate a construction date prior to 1875, and it is possible that some of the pre-1830 building survives in the form of foundation stonework and building frame."

[Direct link to original webpage is in title: please credit Doug Porter.]